Saturday, May 7, 2011

Restaurant Review: PieBird Raleigh NC

Restaurant Review: PieBird $$ ★★★★☆
Location: 618 N Person Street, Raleigh NC 27604

PieBird, located in the historic Oakwood district of Raleigh near C rispy Cream Donuts, brought me back to my childhood as soon as I entered the restaurant. Walking into PieBird reminded me of the taste and smell of my mother’s homemade chicken pot pie.  With its rustic ambiance and attentive staff they raise comfort food to a whole new level. 

They have a good selection of savory pies such as classic chicken pot pie, madras curried chicken pot pie, and shepherds’ pie. The crust on the chicken pot pie was thin and flaky complimenting the rich creamy interior full of chicken and vegetables. Unlike many restaurants, the shepherds’’ pie had a perfectly proportioned thin layer of parmesan mashed potatoes and a generous layer of savory ground lamb, roasted carrots and fresh herbs. The curried chicken pot pie was spicy with generous portions of chicken, sweet potatoes, peas, carrots, onions in a sweet curried sauce served with mango chutney and cucumber raita sauce on the side.

The sides were just as good as the entrees. The side of the day was a large dish of crisp green beans in a light vinaigrette with fresh herbs and cherry tomatoes. The bowtie pasta salad had big chunks of feta cheese, crisp red peppers, and artichoke quarters surrounded by a homemade creamy dressing.

After a great meal we had to have some dessert. If you like good strong coffee, they serve small pots of PieBird’s Nest Blend coffee made in a French press that makes you feel like you are in a Parisian cafĂ©. The pies however are pure American and each one was better than the other. We kept tasting each other’s pies to make sure we tasted as many as possible. I had the Coconut cream pie that was light and creamy with a flaky crust topped with toasted slivered almonds. If you are a fan of peanut butter, try the peanut butter pie – it tasted like a Butterfinger chiffon with a chocolate graham crust.

This is definitely a restaurant that I will go back to when I want some comfort food.

2 comments:

  1. Uh, it's Krispy Kreme, not Crispy Cream. Details, details!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I needed to thank you for this excellent
    read!! I absolutely enjoyed every little bit of it.
    I have got you saved as a favorite to check out new stuff you post…

    web page - -

    ReplyDelete

Please leave feedback, comments, and questions on my recipes so that I can tune them for everyone’s kitchen.