Sunday, August 7, 2011

BlueBarb Jam

Makes 6 pints BlueBarb jam
           
12 8oz. (½ Pt.) canning jars and lids
2 - 8 Qt Pots

4 C Rhubarb (finely cut)
4 C Crushed Blueberries (~3 Pints)
8 C Sugar
2 boxes Fruit Pectin

I have to admit that my family is spoiled. They only want to eat homemade jam, and I don’t blame them. A few years ago my next door neighbor was telling me that she could no longer find bluebarb jam. This sent me on a quest to make the perfect blueberry and rhubarb jam that was sweet but still had a tang. I remember growing up with my mother making rhubarb compote every summer and I wanted to add that flavor to this jam.  I hope you enjoy it.

Wash the blueberries and rhubarb and prepare the jars for canning.  This is an important step since food spoilage occurs easily if the canning is not done properly.  I suggest you go to your favorite source to find out what the best practices are for canning, such as www.homecanning.com. Follow the directions for high-acid foods exactly. 

Dice the rhubarb into ¼ inch pieces and set aside in a large bowl. Mash the blueberries until you have four cups worth.  Combine the rhubarb and the blueberries in an 8 qt pot, add the sugar and thoroughly mix.  Place over high heat; bring to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Boil for EXACTLY 1 MINUTE and then remove it from the stove. Watch out — it will splatter.  Add the two boxes of pectin, stirring until it’s dissolved.  Place your immersion blender into the jam and process until no lumps are visible.  Keep the head of the immersion blender in the jam.  If it is spinning and you lift it above the surface of the jam you will splatter very hot jam everywhere. If you do not have an immersion blender you can put it in your food processor in batches.  Be very careful – it’s hot!

Using a sterile canning technique, fill the jars with the BlueBarb Jam leaving a ½ inch clearance between the top of the jam and the lid.  Cap the jars immediately with new lids.  The lid rings can be reused as long as they are clean and sterilized.  Let the jars cool for several hours until you will hear the lids pop.  This signifies that a jar is sealed properly.  After all of the jars have cooled completely, press the tops of the jars to make sure they are sealed.  If the top "pops" down then refrigerate this jar for immediate consumption. I suggest you go to your favorite source to find out what the best practices are for canning, such as www.homecanning.com. Follow the directions for high-acid foods exactly.

The BlueBarb jam will keep in your refrigerator for up to three weeks after opening.  If you don't plan on using it quickly I recommend that you use the small 4 oz. jars so that they are open the least amount of time.

I do not have the luxury of having a blueberry farm near me so I will usually wait until the blueberries in the grocery store go on sale before I make BlueBarb jam.  You can use frozen blueberries but the fresh are better.  Now if the rhubarb is not available at the same time as the blueberries I have frozen the blueberries until I'm ready to use them. 

Rhubarb is available in the produce section of you grocery store but I have always grown it in my garden.  It is a perennial and comes back year after year.  It looks great too with its red stalks.

* PRONTO SUBSTITUTE

Fresh vs. Frozen – If fresh blueberries or rhubarb are not available you can use frozen blueberries or rhubarb.

To print a copy of this recipe go to BlueBarb Jam.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave feedback, comments, and questions on my recipes so that I can tune them for everyone’s kitchen.