Saturday, October 15, 2011

Restaurant Review: Biaggi's, Cary NC


$$-$$$ ★★★★☆


Location: 1060 Darrington Drive, Cary, NC 27513


It is very unusual for me to go to an Italian restaurant; I’m usually disappointed and think to myself that I can make it better at home. Biaggi’s is a jeweled exception with great Italian food that is fresh, delicious, with a creative flair.  


We started with a roasted beet, arugula and goat cheese salad that was simple yet complex with a fresh taste that set up the palate for the rest of the meal.


The appetizer brought me back 30 years to when I first got married. My wife and I would travel to Bethlehem Pennsylvania to visit her sister and we would inevitably order Stromboli. I have been searching for an equivalent ever since and I finally found it at Biaggi’s. Think of a rolled up pizza with a thin crispy crust, melted mozzarella and pepperoni baked to perfection, I can’t wait to order this as my main course so that I can eat the entire Stromboli.


For dinner I had a shrimp and crab cannelloni. Think of a thin spinach pasta shell wrapped around shrimp, crab, and ricotta, then covered with a rich lobster-tomato cream sauce. It was light, rich, and delicious.


There is one dish that is served at almost every Italian restaurant, veal parmigiana. It’s one of the dishes that I use to compare restaurants and to compare against how I would make it at home. Biaggi’s veal parmigiana is as good as my mothers and the best I can remember since living in New York.


My friends often ask me what my favorite Italian restaurant is and I finally have an answer – Biaggi’s.

Cuisine: Italian
Atmosphere: Casual
Service: Eager to please
Recommended: Veal Parmesan, Shrimp & Crab Cannelloni, Stromboli
Open: lunch and dinner daily
Reservations: accepted
Other: Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover; everything is à la carte; alcohol; smoke free; gluten-free menu available; half portions of pasta available

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave feedback, comments, and questions on my recipes so that I can tune them for everyone’s kitchen.