Sunday, July 24, 2011

Restaurant Review: WEATHERVANE at A Southern Season

$$-$$$ ★★★★☆
Location: University Mall, Hwy 15-501 @ Estes Drive, Chapel Hill, NC 27514, 919.929.9466
I have not gone to A Southern Season since they moved to University Mall and a friend of mine was raving about having dinner there so I decided to give it a try. I was surprised to find a full service restaurant that was larger and offered a greater variety of food than the small in-store restaurant at their former location in Eastgate Mall.

The service was great and the food was even better. I like shrimp and grits but it is a hit and miss type of dish – it’s either very bland or very good. Well, the shrimp and grits at Weathervane was the best I’ve ever had.  It had North Carolina shrimp, tangy BBQ sauce, and green beans over tasso ham and Boursin grits, WOW. The shrimp were tender, the BBQ sauce tangy and the grits were perfect.

The pan-seared salmon with cucumber and spring onion salad, lentils, and crème fraîche was excellent. The salmon was moist and perfectly cooked and it was served on a bed of lentils that were firmly cooked and flavorful, the perfect accompaniment to the salmon.  

Of course a trip to Weathervane would not be complete without a visit to the 60,000 sq. ft. A Southern Seasons market – quite possibly the largest in the country. It contains gustatory delights that can be found nowhere else in the triangle. The perimeter of the store showcases exotic coffees, meats, pastries, candies, and other edible delights. The interior of the store made me feel like I had gone to kitchen heaven. I felt that I was in a Harry Potter maze and at each turn of the maze was another kitchen utentil that I wanted to buy.

You can bet that I’ll be returning to both Weathervane and A Southern Season very soon. In fact they are having their July sale where many products are on sale – some up to 30% off.

For additional restaurant reviews and Italian-Fusion recipes go to www.italian-fusion.blogspot.com
Weathervane Hours
8am - 9pm / Monday - Thursday
8am - 10pm / Friday & Saturday
10am - 9pm / Sunday

Store Hours
10am - 7pm
Fridays 'til 9pm

Cuisine: Southern / Modern American
Rating: ★★★★
Prices: $$-$$$ Entrees $11 to $29
Atmosphere: Casual
Service: eager to please
Recommended: salmon, shrimp & grits
Open: lunch and dinner daily, brunch on weekends

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave feedback, comments, and questions on my recipes so that I can tune them for everyone’s kitchen.