Friday, December 30, 2011

Breakfast in Shanghai

Chinese Breakfast
After a very long flight and a hair raising ride fron the airport I finally arrived in Shanghai last night. The traffic is just as bad as New York and the cab drivers are just as crazy. I woke up at 4:30 AM and I was starved. I could not wait for the restaurant to open.

I enjoyed my first Chinese breakfast this morning and it was wonderful. It consisted of the following items:

Mini Pork Dumplings
Mini Pork Dumplings - These were the best steamed dumpling that I've ever eaten. They did not need any soy sauce. I even went back for seconds.

Vegetable Buns - This is the Chinese equivalent of donuts. They are savory steamed buns stuffed with a variety of items. For breakfast I enjoyed a bun filled with vegetables that was savory and creamy in texture. I could have eaten a dozen of them.

Fried Noodles - These reminded me of fried lo mein.

Vegetable Buns
Fried Rice - Typical fried rice that I'm used to.

Tea boiled eggs - These were hard boiled eggs that were cooked in tea instead of water. The tea infused them with a wonderful flavor so that I did not even salt them like I normally would with hard boiled eggs.

Fried Chinese Twists - These reminded me of churos but were not as good. This was the only thing I did not enjo - they were greasy. I'll have to try them some where else.
Tea Boiled Eggs

1 comment:

  1. Looks like my favorite meal of the day would be great in China! Not sure I would have left the table.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave feedback, comments, and questions on my recipes so that I can tune them for everyone’s kitchen.