Sunday, March 18, 2012

Caprese Eggplant Grilled Cheese


White Sauce
There is nothing more comforting than a grilled cheese sandwich. I recently ate at a local restaurant which served a mozzarella grilled cheese sandwich—to say the least I was very disappointed with the results. I decided that the concept was good so I went home and created my own version of their sandwich which came out great. This is an Ideal sandwich for that special lunch or an informal dinner. Just think of a grilled cheese sandwich stuffed with mozzarella, eggplant, roasted tomato, and a homemade white pesto sauce.

Makes 4 Sandwiches

1 Baked Eggplant Recipe
8 slices Pepperidge Farms Hearty White Bread*
1 -2 Lg Ripe Tomatos (sliced ¼ inch thick)
Salt
8 oz. Fresh Mozzarella (sliced into 8 slices)
3 TBS Butter (room temperature)

White Sauce *
¼ C Greek Yogurt
1 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
½ tsp Basil Pesto
Pinch of Salt

Prepare the Baked Eggplant according to my recipe on this blog.

In a small bowl whisk together the yogurt and the olive oil until smooth and thick. Whisk in the pesto until smooth.

Place the slices of tomato on a cookie sheet and sprinkle with a little salt. You should have eight slices of tomato. Place the tomatoes under the broiler for 5 minutes.

Slice the mozzarella into 8 even slices.

Assembly
Place 2 slices of baked eggplant, tomato and mozzarella on the bottom slice of bread. Spread a teaspoon of white sauce on the other slice of bread, and place it sauce side down on the sandwich. Cover the top of the bread with 1 teaspoon of butter.

Heat a griddle or large frying pan over medium high heat. Place the sandwich, buttered side down, on the hot griddle and spread 1 teaspoon of butter on the other side of the sandwich. Cook until both sides are a golden brown color. Serve hot and watch the mozzarella ooze from the sandwich.


* PRONTO SUBSTITUTE

White Bread – Only use white bread with this sandwich but always use the best quality bread you can find. A fresh baked loaf that is hand sliced thick is best but I also use Pepperidge Farm Country White.

White Sauce – This sauce is a healthy alternative to mayonnaise that adds zest to this sandwich. You can also add ½ tsp pesto to ¼ C of mayonnaise.

White Sauce
I’m a big fan of yogurt and I wanted a sandwich topping that has a savory flavor as an alternative to mayonnaise. By whipping together yogurt, olive oil and pesto I created the savory alternative I was looking for that enhances the flavors of a sandwich.

To print a copy of this recipe go to Caprese Eggplant Grilled Cheese Sandwich.

4 comments:

  1. You are the best, Nick! Thanks for sharing! I can introduce my new family to some Italian cooking now...

    Cheri Marshall Bowles

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why only white bread? I don't eat white bread but otherwise this recipe sounds delicious. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recommend white bread so that it does not take away from the flavor of the ingredients in the sandwich. However you can use whatever type of bread you wish and it will still taste great.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave feedback, comments, and questions on my recipes so that I can tune them for everyone’s kitchen.