Thursday, June 21, 2012

Simply Italian Cooking Classes

I have just come off of the most incredible experience working with the Wake Interfaith Hospitality Network. This group of very hardworking women help people who have lost everything get their lives back together. They provide families with shelter, meals, case management and educational services for homeless families in addition to promoting action and awareness in the community regarding homelessness. Over the last 4 weeks I've had to privledge to teach 8 wonderful women at the groups temporary housing unit how to make the basic Italian foods that that I grew up with. I had a great time teaching them how to use simple ingredients to make dishes that that are healthy for their children and taste great at the same time. These women have earned a second chance at life. They are working very hard to get their lives in order so that they can live on their own and give their children a better life. The best part of working with them are the new friendships and a great feeling of giving back to the community. If you have the opportunity, I highly suggest that you get involved with this great group either through a local church or directly with the Hospitality Network.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave feedback, comments, and questions on my recipes so that I can tune them for everyone’s kitchen.