Sunday, March 3, 2013

Flavor Tripping With Foodie Nick

Miracle Fruit Berry

Miracle Fruit or Synsepalum dulcificum is a plant (bush), native to West Africa that is causing a sensation across the country.  These berries make sour and bitter foods taste sweet. With the help of my son we purchased some Frooties an extract from these berries made into a pill that you dissolve on your tongue. After that we did some flavor tripping by tasting a variety of bitter and sour foods. Here is what each of them tasted like in order of effectiveness. It was like, man, an amazing trip without drugs.

Ro Tasting Apple Cider Vinegar
1.    Lemons – It was like biting down on a cross between the best sweet lemon candy you have ever eaten and lemon sherbet.
2.    Oranges – Reminded me of the best orange that I’ve ever eaten, fresh from the tree.
3.    Grapefruit – Reminded me of when my mother served us grapefruits for breakfast and walked out of the room just as we were putting a ton of sugar on top.
4.    Sour Cream – reminded me of ice cream.
5.    Cider Vinegar – Reminded me of apple cider.
6.    Sauerkraut – Made it taste sweet but not sugary
7.    Guinness Stout – Took away the bitterness but it did not taste like chocolate to me like some people have posted.
8.    Sugar – Did not taste sweet. It seems to have the opposite effect on sweet items.
9.    Chocolate – Tasted like wax and not at all sweet.

So if you want to have a great party ice breaker or if you just want to trip out on your own try the miracle fruit and do some flavor tripping.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave feedback, comments, and questions on my recipes so that I can tune them for everyone’s kitchen.